Wood Shavings are Essential in Poultry Deep Litter…..BUT
Wood shavings are essential in deep litter system of management; it is however important we note the following:
- Wood shavings is preferable and not sawdust
- Saw dust are finer and often cause respiratory problems
- Wood shavings are best not introduced before 4 – 6 weeks of brooding
- Newly hatch will often eat the shavings which can harm / kill the bird(s)
- When wood shaving is wet, it releases certain chemicals which are detrimental to the chicken if they eat it.
- Wood shavings carry certain fungi and mould which create problems for the chicks. It is a source of Aspergillosis in chicken.
- Wood shavings should be treated with formaldehyde before being used in pen houses.
It is noteworthy that diseases like Coccidiosis, E. coli e.t.c are picked from the litter; it is therefore advisable a farmer rears in cages.
For questions, comments or bookings; call 0700amochicks (0700266244257)